Saturday, August 14, 2010


Rest of war documents to be released in a few weeks

08/14/10 - A spokesman for the WikiLeaks document-revealing website said Saturday that the 15,000 remaining documents on the Afghanistan war will be published within "two weeks to a month."

Last week, the Pentagon called on WikiLeaks to turn over the last of the documents, which the website said it was reviewing to redact information that would harm "innocent parties who are under reasonable threat." WikiLeaks fired back at the Pentagon's request that the website "do the right thing" with a series of tweets responding to "obnoxious" Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell. Continued

WikiLeaks says it won't be threatened by Pentagon

14 August 2010 - WikiLeaks will publish its remaining 15,000 Afghan war documents within a month, despite warnings from the U.S. government, the organization's founder said Saturday.

The Pentagon has said that secret information will be even more damaging to security and risk more lives than WikiLeaks' initial release of some 76,000 war documents.

"This organization will not be threatened by the Pentagon or any other group," Julian Assange told reporters in Stockholm. "We proceed cautiously and safely with this material."

In an interview with The Associated Press, he said that if U.S. defense officials want to be seen as promoting democracy then they "must protect what the United States' founders considered to be their central value, which is freedom of the press." Continued

No comments: