Saturday, May 04, 2013

For the Sandy Hook Victims: "Family"

Haven't done this in ages, put together a video and upload to share. But after reading the crap coming out of Huston by the LaPierres, the Palins, the 'chickenhawk', at now 42, Cruz.

Not one ounce of 'empathy', many extremely hollow words in relation to gun violence, it's All about Them as they spit on the graves, especially of the children!!!

I then streamed the PBS Bill 'Moyers and Company' show I had to at least cut the song at the end of the first segment and save it. I added the end of the second segment as well as Bill's short commentary. The song will tear ya up, it did me!

Pierce Pettis' song “Family.”
Sung by Dar Williams and Sandy Hook Mom Francine Wheeler

On the show this is what leads up to the showing of the live performance:

3 May 2013 - BILL MOYERS: There is one song in the concert, “Family.” Can you talk about that a moment? And then, I'd like for my audience to hear it.

PETER YARROW: "Family," was the moment of catharsis for me at the concert. It was astonishing.

FRANCINE WHEELER: And you know, Ben was there. Ben was there. You know, I've listened to Dar Williams for, I don't know, 15 years, and I had never met her before the day of the concert. And she said, through Peter, you know, what does Francine want to sing? And she suggested Pierce Pettis' song “Family.”

And when I listened to it, after I cried for a while, I realized it was the perfect song. I mean, the word I say in the second verse is: “We stood outside in the summer rain, / different people with a common pain.” And that’s what you have.

PETER YARROW: And it also says, there's a line, "[he's] just a child, that's all.” That is, to me, such a powerful line, it's a child, yeah, he's, you know, in a box in the cold.

FRANCINE WHEELER: He's just a child.

PETER YARROW: He's just a child. That's all. We're not talking about sophisticated political dilemmas. Can we just have some empathy for that child who is gone?

FRANCINE WHEELER: Or the teacher that was trying to protect that child.

PETER YARROW: Absolutely.

And these are the words sung:

DAR WILLIAMS: Can you fix this? It's a broken heart. It was fine, but it just fell apart. It was mine, but now I give it to you. Cause you can fix it, you know what to do.

DAR WILLIAMS & FRANCINE WHEELER: Let your love cover me, Like a pair of angel wings, You are my family, You are my family.

FRANCINE WHEELER: We stood outside in the summer rain, Different people with a common pain. A simple box in that hard red clay, It's where we left him to always remain.

DAR WILLIAMS & FRANCINE WHEELER: Let your love cover me, Like a pair of angel wings, You are my family, You are my family.

DAR WILLIAMS: The child who played with the moon and stars, Waves a snatch of hay in a common barn.

DAR WILLIAMS & FRANCINE WHEELER: In the lonely house of Adam’s fall Lies a child, it’s just a child that’s all, crying

DAR WILLIAMS & FRANCINE WHEELER: Let your love cover me, Like a pair of angel wings, You are my family, You are my family. You are my family, You are my family.

You can watch each segments:

Francine Wheeler and Peter Yarrow on Music’s Power in Social Movements

Francine and David Wheeler on Turning Tragedy into Transformation

Or the full show:

Full Show: The Sandy Hook Promise

If you didn't catch it last night, like myself, and don't stream later I would suggest you do watch, once again well put together and very powerful.


No comments: