Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Veterans' courts provide a second chance

The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that of the 1.6 million people arrested last year, 10 percent had served in the military. Many of them are veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. Now the judicial system is trying to save a generation of soldiers.



"All I know is before I joined the marines I never got in trouble, never got arrested, never even got a speeding ticket; I come back not even a month, I get a DUI," Iraq veteran Mariano Vazquez said. "I still feel like there's something wrong. Sometimes I think I'm crazy."


With the studying that has preceded these conflicts, though not enough has still been done nor enough people paying attention and now we have multiple tours in these theaters, more is understood about PTS and can be better diagnosed, as well as TBI. These Vets need help first, not condemnation and lockup!

No comments: